On the heels of the Rainbow Six Siege price hikes instated last month, Ubisoft is making Siege’s operators and attachments much easier to acquire.
Starting with the launch of the game’s third content year on Tuesday, March 6, players who own Siege’s Standard, Advanced, Gold or Complete Editions will be able to use the original 20 operators without spending any Renown, Siege’s in-game currency.
Renown costs for all previous and future attachments are also being removed for all players, which is especially welcome news considering Ubisoft recently said its goal for Siege is to release 100 operatives over 10 years. However, players who already own any attachments or any of the original 20 operators will not be refunded “due to a technical limitation,” Ubisoft said in a blog post.
Siege’s $15 PC-only Starter Edition is also getting an update. Players who purchase this edition after March 6 will have access to six random operators instead of two operators and 600 Siege credits.
“These 6 random Operators will consist of three random Attackers and three random Defenders from a selection of 10 total operators,” Ubisoft explained. The possible Attackers are Ash, Thermite, Thatcher, Fuze and Sledge. The possible Defenders are Rook, Mute, Smoke, Jager and Kapkan.
These changes will help offset the Starter Edition’s significant drawback of pricier operators. Normally, new operators cost 2,000 Renown. However, if you purchase the cheaper Standard Edition, new operators cost 12,500 Renown, making it considerably more time-consuming to expand your roster without spending more real money.
Ubisoft was recently criticized for releasing limited-time loot boxes as part of Siege’s March Outbreak Event. Brand director Alexandre Remy defended the loot boxes in an interview: “I am feeling very empathetic towards players upset with this, but at the same time I do not feel we are cheating anyone, I don’t think we are being greedy whatsoever,” Remy said.
Austin Wood is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.