Square Enix has revealed the first details about Patch 5.1. The upcoming patch will include the release of the first Shadowbringers 24-Player Alliance Raid based on Nier: Automata.In a new Letter from the Producer livestream, Final Fantasy 14 director Naoki Yoshida revealed the first details about the upcoming Patch 5.1 update, Titled Vows of Virtue, Deeds of Cruelty. The update will include the YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse alliance raid, which is a collaboration beween Final Fantasy 14 and the Nier series and guest directors Yosuke Saito and Yoko Taro.
Updates coming to Final Fantasy 14 Patch 5.1:
- New Main Scenario Quests – New quests continuing the Shadowbringers storyline.
- New 24-Player Alliance Raid – “The Copied Factory,” designed by guest creators Yosuke Saito and Yoko Taro.
- Restoration of the Holy See of Ishgard – New crafter and gatherer-focused content that will let players help rebuild Ishgard.
- New Game+ – A feature that lets players run previously completed quests with their current job level and gear.
- New Dungeon – ‘The Grand Cosmos’ a new dungeon that can be run with other players or NPCs via the Trust System.
- New Extreme Trial.
- New Beast Tribe Quest for the Pixies.
- PvP Update – “Signifant changes” for PvP and a new Frontline map and ruleset.
- Blue Mage Job Upate – The first major update for the Blue Mage, a “limited” job class that will get a new level cap, job quests, and class-specific content.
- Performance Action Updates – Will let a group of players play music together.
The full patch notes for 5.1 will be released when the update goes live sometime in October. But Shadowbringers fans can look forward to job adjustments, system updates, and more.
The most exciting thing about Patch 5.1 is the first Alliance Raid for Shadowbringers. Yoko Taro will hopefully bring some of his signature style to Shadowbringers with the upcoming Alliance Raid as Square Enix usually works with guest creators for Alliance Raids. The last Alliance Raid, Return to Ivalice, for example, was developed in partnership with Final Fantasy tactics director Yasumi Matsuno.
The new 5.1 update will reveal how Saito and Taro introduce the world of Nier: Automata to Final Fantasy 14. But even if you aren’t interested in the new Raid content, 5.1 will also include New Game+, and likely a list of class changes and rebalances.
Check out IGN’s Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbringers review for our take on the latest Final Fantasy 14 expansion.
Matt Kim is a reporter for IGN. You can reach him on Twitter.